Held in beautiful Victoria, on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada, Oct 14 – 15, 2016, the 3rd annual Psychedelic Psychotherapy Forum, provided opportunities to learn, converse and connect about the healing potentials of psychedelic medicines. The venue for this year’s forum was the Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort and Spa in the foothills just west of Victoria, BC.
Related events included Synergy Salon: Interactive Evening of Food, Art and Music by separate admission on the evening of Oct 14, as well as post-forum workshops on Oct 16. Please note that the Oct 16 workshops were held at the Victoria Conference Centre (different venue from the main forum). For venue/travel details, click here.
Rick Doblin, Founder & Executive Director, Multidisciplinary Association of Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), gave the keynote address at this year’s forum. Highlight topics at the forum included the current state of MDMA research for alleviating PTSD; Ayahuasca therapy to treat eating disorders; Psilocybin studies and implications for cancer patients/end of life issues; training possibilities for psychedelic psychotherapists; as well as how to support clients to successfully integrate the psychedelic experience.
(1) LIVE STREAMING of the Forum – For those who were not able to travel and attend this amazing event in Victoria, BC, we were able to offer live streaming. (2) PRESS RELEASE published Oct 6, 2016, is listed here. (3) GRAPHIC RECORDING of the Forum – This year, Colleen Stevenson, graphic recorder and custom illustrator, created visual records of presentations/dialogues as they unfolded at the Forum. For more information about her work, click here. (4) University Presentations/Discussions — Leading up to the Forum, we organized a series of university talks/presentations/film screenings at UBC, Adler University, Vancouver Island University, and University of Victoria. For more information on these, click here. (5) Continuing Education Credits — Psychedelic Psychotherapy Forum III: State of the Art has been approved for CE credits by two associations — by the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) for a total of 11.75 CE credit hours, and by the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) for a total of 13 CE credit hours.
A SEA CHANGE IS UNDERWAY IN PSYCHEDELIC PSYCHOTHERAPY
New Yorker magazine, Atlantic Monthly, The Huffington Post, CBC, and CNN are just a few of the mainstream media sources that have recently featured stories on psychedelic science. While the media coverage is beginning to shift the public perception of psychedelic medicine, research into healing with MDMA, Ayahuasca, Iboga and Psilocybin is being conducted at major universities and hospitals and the governing bodies that regulate these substances are taking notice.
California Institute for Integral Studies is now offering a Certificate for Psychedelic-assisted Therapies and Research for licensed or licensable professionals in mental health and medicine. And a legal challenge is being mounted in Canada that will eventually pave the way for patients to safely and legally use psychedelics for medical purposes.
GET INVOLVED, GET CONNECTED!
The forum is an opportunity for physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, social workers, students, researchers, and anyone working in the helping professions to come together to network and connect about the future of this exciting and promising field. The forum is also an opportunity for those interested in their own healing process to find out what options are becoming available that offer an entirely new paradigm for healing
The last three Psychedelic Psychotherapy Forums, held in 2014, 2015, and 2016, were also held in Vancouver Island, BC, and organized by Integral Counselling BC. The 2015 forum presentations/proceedings are available here. This year’s 2016 forum presentations/proceedings are available for video download here.
We would like to thank our three Major Sponsors — MAPS Canada, California Institute of Integral Studies, and Stream of Consciousness, as well as our supporting sponsors Float House Victoria, Tilray, Sunset Labs, and Odidodi Design & Production House for their support of this year’s Forum.
- Be in the forefront of rapid developments in the field of transpersonal psychology
- Find out about the latest research in psychedelic medicines and psychedelic-assisted therapies
- Build community and connect with leaders and peers in the healing professions
- Discuss legal and ethical challenges for therapists
- Explore training possibilities in psychedelic psychotherapy
- Attain continuing education credits
Who should attend?
- Clinical counsellors, therapists
- Social workers
- Researchers, students
- Healthcare professionals, integrated practitioners
- Anyone that is curious about new directions in psychotherapy
Register with our news group to be informed of upcoming events, promotions and other information.